Do you have a kid who loves to draw or build things?
Is she/he saving cereal boxes so that she/he can “make something”?
If your daughter or son is creative, imaginative, and artistic (and really, which child isn’t?!), then this program is for her/him. If she/he loves to make things, is a visual thinker, likes to express and explain things using drawings and hand movements, then this program is for her/him. If she/he is an explorer, curious about buildings and places around the world, then this program is for her/him.
Kids, you don’t have to wait till you get to college to learn architecture. In this program, you will learn to think like an architect, sketch like one, write like one, observe like one, design like one, and solve problems like one.
Architecture Program for Kids:
Welcome to the world of architectural studies, where the boundaries between science and art are blurred, just as much as the separation between discovery and imagination. It’s a versatile field that engages right and left brain. It’s a place where kids thrive! They effortlessly juggle reality and fantasy. And that makes for a great architect.
Observe, Think, Imagine, Create, Draw, Design, Make, Build
This is an educational program introducing the discipline of architecture to kids, to nurture their talents, interests, & encourage interdisciplinary pollination of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) topics.
Activities include sketching/drawing, design challenges and projects, model-making, and virtual field trips that explore history, our present, and the future.
Only offered at … Magellan International School
Anderson Lane (AL) campus, Art Room
7938 Great Northern Blvd, Austin, TX 78757, USA
About the Teacher:
Classes will be taught by me, Sharon George. I am a practicing architect who is passionate about sharing my love for architecture with the next generation. As a mother of two young kids (both of whom attend Magellan International School), I enjoy learning from their curiosity and creativity.
My journey in the field of architecture began more than 20 years ago, when I attended architecture school in India. Later, I earned an M.S. in Architecture from UT Austin and have practiced residential architecture in Central Texas ever since. I have traveled extensively in India, Europe, and the United States, as a keen observer of the built environment. The effect of human behavior and various cultures on the spaces they create fascinate me. I can’t wait to share what I know about architecture with your kids.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to a fantastic spring/ summer of inquiry and exploration.
– Wanna know what we’ve been up to in the past year? Visit the Architecture and Kids Facebook page and be sure to Like and Follow us.
– After you register, you’re welcome to become part of the Architecture and Kids Facebook Private/Closed group, where I’ll post pictures after each class.
If you’re interested to see what “architecture for kids” looks like in real life, check out what I did last summer at Summer Wonders. Read more about architecture and kids here. Also, this happened – Talking to kindergarteners about architecture.
Summer 2017 Topic – Notable Architects and their Masterpieces
We’ll study the work of a select few famous architects and learn what inspires them and what drives their design.
Who can attend?
Austin kids, Rising 1st – 8th, see details below.
Summer 2017 Schedule – Duration, Dates, & Times:
– 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (Free early drop-off starting at 8:00 am provided by Magellan School)
– Offering 3 sessions for different age groups
– Session 1: June 26 – June 30 (Rising 1st and 2nd grade)
– Session 2: July 10 – July 14 (Rising 3rd, 4th, 5th grade)
– Session 3: July 24 – July 28 (Rising 6th, 7th, 8th grade)
– Please note that each session will be offered or cancelled based on the number of kids. Minimum enrollment of 5 kids and maximum 15 kids per class.
– There are no registration or cancellation fees
– $250 per session
– Pay via PayPal (there is a service fee), see below registration form:
Enrollment is now open for Summer Camp 2017.
Fill out form below. Must pay to complete enrollment and secure a spot.
After you submit the registration form, you will be directed to payment.