WHO and HOW WE SERVE
If you are thinking about building a new custom house on a virgin site and want to benefit from the professional guidance of an experienced architect, we can help. You might be looking for a site, or you are ready to put an offer on a lot, or you already have a site and are ready to start the process.
The heart and soul of our practice is working with you to design your custom home. We offer full architectural services to help you make the most of your investment of time, energy, and finances. We not only provide design services but also project management services, so that you can go about your life while your dream is being realized.
If your existing home is not serving you anymore, but you want to stay for a number of reasons, consider remodeling or renovating. Perhaps, you are tired of your old house leaking like a sieve and want a performance upgrade. Or maybe your family has grown and you are bursting at the seams.
We offer counsel, design ideas, architectural and project management services to help you envision, customize, and transform your house to suit your needs.
If you are a Home Builder/ Custom Home Developer/ Project Manager who is interested in building an architect-designed, high-performance, speculative home on a specific site, call us.
We provide optimized custom design solutions for your program and site. We rely on your project management skills. We produce a basic package of design drawings and construction documents i.e. permit set and any additional drawings as requested, commonly known as a Builder’s Set.
Bruce Mau said it best.
“Process is more important than outcome. When the outcome drives the process we will only ever go to where we’ve already been. If process drives outcome we may not know where we’re going, but we will know we want to be there.”
Our step-by-step process is designed to help you make cumulative progress towards your end goal. It starts with a very small yet crucial step. Each step, when validated, leads to the bigger next step, thus giving you more confidence and less surprises. The entire process is meant to be an enjoyable and stress-free experience with an expert as your guide.
Here is our 10 step action plan to get you from your dream to your home.
A doctor would not prescribe medication or operate on you without a proper in-person diagnosis. Similarly, when considering your construction investment, an analysis of your specific conditions is important in order to help you make informed decisions.
We’ll meet to discuss your project (against a 5 point checklist) in order to assess the viability of your plans. This is a 30,000 ft overview. We’ll make recommendations on what is feasible based on your priorities. You’ll get an idea of the things you need to consider before moving forward.
We offer this low commitment consultation as a stand-alone service at a nominal fee.
The framework for our discovery process is:
- Establish requirements – we provide you with a worksheet to think through your space requirements, your family needs, your style, your aspirations and expectations. This will help us establish the area of house, a timeline and refine the budget, so that they are all in alignment.
- Site analysis – visit your site with you, initiate tree and topography survey, analyse the positive and negative aspects that present opportunities or problems.
- Research – zoning and land development codes, building codes, covenants and restrictions for your subdivision, document utility providers. Flag any restrictions (drainage/conservation/water-quality easements and flood plain boundaries) that could be crippling.
- Builder selection – we encourage you to talk to builders to get a sense of who you want to work with. Ideally, you engage a builder to perform pre-construction services.
- Putting it all together: We evaluate all the above information to discuss possibilities and make informed decisions. We adjust the goals as needed and establish an attainable scope of work. Results are documented in a discovery report and serve as the basis for design.
We offer this low commitment package as a stand-alone service at a nominal fee.
This is the point where we get to design your house. We use the discovery report to come up with design solutions that suit your lifestyle and your unique site. With your input, we’ll progress from conceptual design sketches to schematic design drawings.
- We coordinate all the consultants and produce a robust set of technical construction drawings and specifications. You will use these as “contract documents” for a construction contract with your General Contractor (and subsequently Sub-Contractors).
- We produce a permit set and bank set as necessary.
- Regular site visits with field reports
- Approve shop drawings, review submittals, respond to RFI’s (Requests for Information) from Builder
- Approve Draw Requests
- Final walk-through
Steps 1 through 4
Design and Estimation
Steps 5 & 6
Development and Documentation
Step 7 & 8
Costing and Contracts